Friday, January 9, 2009

Sweet Potatoes and H2O

I haven't done much updating on Gracie's solid food intake, so here goes! Around 5 months (she's now 7 months) we began cereal and she took to it like a goldfish to water--she loved it! We have a video posted on the blog of those first bites. From that I assumed we would have it easy with food, but boy was I wrong! I decided to make my own baby food because of the many health benefits, its cheapness, and relative ease. Around the 6 month mark I made a batch of applesauce--delicious! I must say it was the best tasting apple sauce I had ever eaten. But what did Gracie think? Horrible faces, and jaws clamped shut! I have tried applesauce several times in several different ways--mixed with milk, mixed with water, mixed with cereal--all to clamped jaws, and horrible faces when it actually makes it in her mouth. I tried once more today with her oatmeal, and as I made airplane zooms all around her mouth, she smiled with lips tightly sealed! It was so funny, even though another serving of applesauce went to waste.

Finally I decided to try vegetables. I made acorn and butternut squash. One of each made around 25 serving! All for about $3. Anyway, once Gracie got a taste of the squash, she was a happy camper. She doesn't go for it quite like the cereal, but we are making progress!

Because Gracie cannot live by squash alone, we have moved on to other vegetables (I tried bananas earlier, which was met with the same disdain as the applesauce, and decided to just stick with the veggies for now). Sweet potatoes came next. As you will see in these videos, it takes a lot of patience, but she is getting the hang of it. We're going to try carrots next, and then move on to the green veggies. Wish us luck!

Water has been really fun. I decided to help Gracie get mastery of the cup before we used a sippie cup. She really loves her water! The other day I had her on my hip and was drinking water myself, and she looked interested. So I put a little water in her cup and put it to her lips. For the first time, she took a sip then grabbed the cup herself to get some more! She's learning!

1 comment:

Chrissa said...

I just love reading what "mommies" have to say about experiencing new stages with their lil ones. I am learning so much about parenting from reading other people's blogs! And after talking with soooooo many different mommies - I think homemade baby food is the only way to go. It's becoming quite popular (or maybe it always has been and I'm just now at a stage in life to realize it)

Gracie's little expressions are just adorable. The videos totally made me smile. Thanks for posting them!! I'm looking forward to more food updates :)