Saturday, February 7, 2009

Nanny-Sitting

Tonight my parents are hosting a large dinner party, and I am Nanny-sitting. My Nanny began an adult day-care this past January, and we have seen a big difference in her since she began. She has Alzheimers, but now that she has more daily interaction with people, she is able to speak a little more clearly. Tonight she played with Gracie and remembered that she was a girl (she used to call Gracie a "he"). When I put Gracie on Nanny's lap for these pictures, she said "Boy, she's heavy!" and "I have to hold on tight to her!" because Gracie was so wiggly! At dinner she asked to say the blessing and said a very coherent prayer about God helping the children to grow up (she meant Gracie) and blessing the food. I wish I could remember her words exactly. But my favorite line was during dinner. I asked Nanny if she wanted another bowl of soup and she said, "Well, I have to watch my figure!" She finally agreed to just a little more broccoli and cheese soup.

It's so nice to have moments like those. Tonight she looked around my kitchen and said "I really like your.....bicycle." And she has tried to open the car door twice while on the interstate with my parents. Now they have to sit her in the backseat with the child locks.
So, I'm grateful for the good times, snippets of good conversation, and the way she interacts with Gracie. Nanny is taking a little snooze in our comfy rocking chair as I write this post. She just woke up for a minute and I told her I was working on the computer. Her response was "I hear people talking about the 'puter, and once the fix it they don't have to fuss about it any more." Well, said, Nanny!

2 comments:

Iris said...

your nanny sounds like a sweet woman. it's great that gracie gets to spend time with her. she kind of reminds me of my nana when she had dementia - she would say random sentences. it's great that your nanny is improving her speech at day care.

Laura said...

wow . . . what a fantastic post. you are so obviously patient and kind with your nanny--what a joy to know that you'll forever have these memories of gracie with her great-nanny!!!!